- Category: District News
Students in the Margaretta School District are identified as gifted by the Ohio Department of Education Operating Standards.
WHOLE GRADE TESTING
- All students are tested for reading and math in grades 2 and 5 using the Terra Nova 3.
- All students in 2nd and 4th grade are tested for superior cognitive ability by taking the Cognitive Abilities Test.
- Referrals for gifted testing can be submitted from teachers, parents, or students.
- The district Gifted Instructional Specialist (GIS)/Gifted Coordinator will administer the Iowa Test of Basic Skills and/or the Otis Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT) to determine gifted identification for those referred.
- Students scoring in the 95th percentile or greater on the reading, math, science, and/or social studies tests qualify for subject- specific gifted identification in that particular area. *Students scoring 127 or greater on the Cognitive Abilities Test (or the Ottis-Lennon School Ability Test 8 will receive an identification as gifted in Superior Cognitive Thinking skills.
- The ACT can also be used as an identifying test in the areas of reading and math as indicated by the percentile data chart from the current year.
- Students can also be identified in creative thinking ability by achieving at least a 112 on the Superior Cognitive assessment and a total of 111 on the Gifted and Talented Evaluation Scale.
- Visual and performing arts are also identified by the Ohio State Gifted and Talented Evaluation Scale.
TEST RESULT NOTIFICATION
Parents and teachers will be notified of the test results within 30 days after the results are available to the district.
The following are services offered for the identified gifted students in the district.
- Cluster grouping of identified students with the regular classroom teacher with professional development and collaboration from the Gifted Instructional Specialist. *
- Acceleration in specific subjects or whole grade *
Middle and High School:
- Cluster grouping *
- Acceleration in specific subjects *
- Differentiated curriculum *
- Honors classes *
- Advanced Placement Classes *
- College Credit Plus
* The indicated services above are offered through regular classroom teachers who have completed the minimum required hours for professional development in gifted education and collaborate with the Gifted Intervention Specialist in the district.
PROGRAMS OFFERED AS PART OF THE GIFTED CURRICULUM
6th Grade- National History Day Competition
7th-8th Grade- National History Day Competition
8th Grade- Land Use Debate
Mrs. Melissa Kuns
District Gifted Coordinator
Margaretta Local Schools
305 S. Washington St.
Castalia, OH 44824
Phone: (419) 684-5357
If you would like to refer your child for gifted testing, please click on the link below and complete the referral form. The gifted coordinator will be notified of this referral and you will receive further information about the gifted testing procedures.
The MARGARETTA LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT will deliver an education that supports academic achievement, in a safe environment, that provides the knowledge and skills needed to be college and career ready.