- Category: Board Minutes
MINUTES OF THE MARGARETTA BOARD OF EDUCATION SPECIAL MEETING OF MARCH 18, 2015.
The Margaretta Board of Education met in special session at 5:25 P.M. on Thursday March 18, 2015 at the Administration Building.
Mr. Lippert called the meeting to order no roll call was taken, however, the following Board members were present: Mrs. Kelble, Mrs. McMahon, Mr. Miller, Mr. Schoenegge, and Mr. Lippert.
Mr. Hammond discussed an update on the Facilities as follows:
• Portion of our parking lots and driveways were repaired and/or replaced at the High School, Elementary and bus garage at a cost of $47,460, from the Permanent Improvement (PI) Fund;
• Replacement of the concrete pad and re-configuring the railings in front of the bus entrance to the Elementary at a cost of $4,516 from the General Fund;
• Upgrade of the electric service to the High School, including the removal of the original sub-surface transformers which new transformers were installed to service the Townsend Community School (TCS) facility at a cost of $47,580 from the General Fund;
• Storage building at the Elementary is nearly completed, it will be used to store furniture and equipment; the labor was provided by EHOVE students including Margaretta students attending EHOVE, a total cost of $10,033 from the General Fund;
Proposed Work to be completed:
• Cameras to be installed this summer at the Elementary;
• Lighting Services to install new LED light fixtures in the High School Gymnasium and in the Elementary Cafeteria;
• Suspended ceilings to be installed in the High School gymnasium and Elementary Cafeteria;
• Three small roofs to be replaced at the High School over the lobby and principals office area;
• Repairs to the drainage tile outside of the High School Cafeteria;
• Repair/replacement of sanitary sewer lines at the Elementary;
• Repairs to broken return lines leading to the High School Media Center and steam lines going into the Junior High through the Cafeteria;
• Significant repairs to the school bus under-carriages from salt and brine used on the roads;
Areas of concern:
• The perimeter drainage tile surrounding the High School;
• Asbestos in the crawl space under the High School;
• Need to manage the bus fleet and consider replacing two buses per year;
• Heating/cooling/ventilation of High School Natatorium;
• Replace windows, concrete block around the original Elementary lobby area;
• Removal of the brick wall outside the long walkway connecting the two wings of the Elementary;
• Tuck pointing the North and West walls of Townsend School building;
• Tuck pointing on the North side of the Junior High;
• Classroom space at the Elementary;
• Upgrading the restrooms at the High School and Elementary;
• Lifts or Elevators at the High School to accommodate physically handicapped students.
There was plenty of discussion on items addressed including the future of the Townsend building, the location of the Townsend Community School building, and the need for elevators in the High School.
Mr. Schroer led a discussion on community engagement. Ideas on how to engage the community included small social meetings, group meetings with various community organizations including the Castalia Lions, Townsend Ruritan, sororities, and churches, parent involvement, conducting meetings in Townsend, at Bay View, and at Groton Township. The discussion should be focused on either replacement of or maintaining facilities. It was agreed that the solution for our district's facilities will have to include community engagement.
Mr. Hammond suggested that the Facilities Committee meet with various professional architects/engineers to go over proposals and options. It was suggested that the full Board be available for these presentations. Mr. Schroer and Mr. Hammond will be arranging the meetings.
Mr. Schroer updated the Board on the status of the School Calendar for the 2015-16 School Year. He hoped that the teachers' union would agree to extend the student/teacher days at the beginning of the school year. He said he hopes to have the calendar to the Board soon.
Mr. Schroer told the Board he has been reviewing the Open Enrollment policies and he doesn't believe that changes are necessary at this time. He also mentioned that Joann McMahon is being nominated for a State FFA Honorary Degree and there will be ceremony this spring.
Motion by Mrs. McMahon, seconded by Mr. Miller, to enter executive session to discuss the employment of the High School Principal; Roll call: Mrs. McMahon: aye, Mr. Miller: aye, Mr. Schoenegge: aye, Mrs. Kelble: aye, Mr. Lippert: aye.
The Board entered executive session at 6:35 p.m.
Motion by Mr. Miller, seconded by Mrs. Kelble, to return to open public meeting; Roll call: Mr. Miller: aye, Mr. Schoenegge: aye, Mrs. Kelble: aye, Mrs. McMahon: aye, Mr. Lippert: aye.
The Board convened into Open Public Session at 8:22 p.m.
Motion by Mrs. Kelble, seconded by Mr. Miller, to adjourn the meeting having no further business to come before the Board; Roll Call: Mr. Schoenegge: aye, Mrs. Kelble: aye, Mrs. McMahon: aye, Mr. Miller: aye, Mr. Lippert: aye.
Meeting adjourned at 8:24 P.M.
Jude T. Hammond
School Board Members
Mr. Kent Miller, Vice President
Mr. Paul Schoenegge
Mr. Brian Sutorius
Mr. Andrew Warner, President
Mrs. Mandi Yetter
Mr. Dennis Mock, Superintendent
Mrs. Diane Keegan, Treasurer
Margaretta Board of Education
305 S. Washington St.
Castalia, OH 44824
Phone: (419) 684-5322
Fax: (419) 684-9003