2014-09-10 Board Minutes (Special)


The Margaretta Board of Education met in special session at 7:00 P.M. on September 10, 2014 at the Administration Offices.

Mrs. McMahon called the meeting to order with roll call;

Mrs. Kelble: present,

Mr. Lippert: present,

Mr. Miller: present,

Mr. Schoenegge: present,

Mrs. McMahon: present

Work Session:

Athletic Conference Affiliation:

Mr. Roth discussed the Athletic Conference situation with the Board. Margaretta has been solicited again by members of the Sandusky River League (SRL) to consider joining that league and leaving the Sandusky Bay Conference (SBC). He mentioned that the SRL is talking with several other schools to consider joining the league. The other schools are of similar size and proximity. He also mentioned that some of the SBC schools have been discussing a concept altering the conference by expanding into a big and small division of schools.

The issue facing the District's conference affiliation is that Margaretta has the least number of high school students than any other school in the conference. In most sports this isn't a problem, however, in football there is a direct correlation of team size and performance. Competing in the SBC in football will be a challenge for Margaretta in the years to come under its current format. The Board and administration is focused one priority that being what is in the best interest of our students. Mr. Roth concluded his remarks stating that we will keep the Board and Mr. Schroer apprised of the progress of the discussions.


Mr. Hammond presented the Board with an outline of the projects that are being proposed or have been completed for this year, which include:

Replacing and/or repairing blacktop around the High School, Elementary, and Bus Garage;

Replace concrete pads in front of the bus entrance way at the Elementary including replacing the railings;

Upgrading the electric service at the High School;

Installing cameras at the Elementary, in part with a $5,000 grant from Wightman/Wieber Foundation;

Replacing the light fixtures in the High School gymnasium and at the Elementary cafeteria;

Installing a suspended ceiling in the High School gymnasium, coordinating the install with the light fixture replacement; and

Two small roof replacements at the High School – office area, and

Have EHOVE construct a storage building at the Elementary building.

The estimated costs to complete these projects within the 2014-15 fiscal year will be $344,620. The total costs exceed the amount of revenue available from the Permanent Improvement levy, which generates nearly $200,000. Therefore, in order to complete each of these projects, we will need to use up to $150,000 of General Fund dollars.

The Board approved moving forward with each of these projects and to use General Funds to complete the projects. There was a discussion about the Townsend building project and the possibility of Townsend establishing a line of credit with Old Fort Bank. In order for Old Fort Bank extending credit they would need Margaretta to provide collateral by purchasing a certificate of deposit. In this case, a part of the interest to be paid by Townsend would come back to Margaretta as interest revenue in exchange for providing a mechanism for Old Fort Bank to collect the balance of the debt if Townsend Community would go into default on the loan. Mrs. Kelble asks what would happen to the Margaretta if Townsend went into default, Mr. Hammond responded that the District would own a $2 Million building for less than $250,000. Mr. Hammond mentioned that he will be bringing a depository agreement to the Board at the September 29, 2014 meeting. It was mentioned that there is a perception by some of the community members that Margaretta is paying for the Building and that is why we are asking for a school levy. It was explained that Townsend Community will be paying 100% of the cost to construct the building and that we need to educate the community on the project. Mr. Schroer mentioned that he will make sure he talks to various groups of interest during the next six weeks in an effort to educate the voters on these issues.

Levy Committee:

Mr. Schroer told the Board that he is in the process of getting community members to restore the levy committee. He mentioned that current treasurer of Margaretta Citizens Committee is Nancy Kuns, who said she would remain as treasurer unless we can find another interested party. Mr. Schroer mentioned that he has met with Mr. Hammond and Mrs. Faber about prior levy campaigns. He will be calling a levy committee meeting in the near future and he hoped that the Board members would participate.

Motion by Mr. Miller, seconded by Mr. Lippert, to adjourn the meeting having no further business to come before the Board; Roll Call: Mr. Lippert: aye, Mr. Miller, Mr. Schoenegge, Mrs. Kelble: aye, Mrs. McMahon: aye.

Meeting adjourned at 8:27 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted

JoAnn McMahon


Jude T. Hammond