- Category: Board Minutes
MINUTES OF THE MARGARETTA BOARD OF EDUCATION SPECIAL MEETING HELD ON JANUARY 20, 2014.
The Margaretta Board of Education met in special session at 5:00 P.M. on Monday January 20, 2014 at the Administration Building.
Mrs. McMahon called the meeting to order with roll call;
Mrs. Kelble: present,
Mr. Lippert: present,
Mr. Miller: present,
Mr. Schoenegge: present,
Mrs. McMahon: present
Mrs. McMahon thanked the Board members, staff and Mr. Bill Pepple, Council for the Board, for taking time to participate in this work session.
Motion by Mr. Lippert, seconded by Mr. Miller, to enter executive session to discuss legal matters with the Board; Roll call: Mr. Lippert: aye, Mr. Miller: aye, Mr. Schoenegge: aye, Mrs. Kelble: aye, Mrs. McMahon: aye.
The Board entered executive session at 5:08 p.m. Mr. Pepple, Mr. Kurt and Mr. Hammond remained in the executive session.
Motion by Mr. Lippert, seconded by Mr. Miller, to return to open session; Roll call: Mr. Miller: aye, Mr. Schoenegge: aye, Mrs. Kelble: aye, Mr. Lippert: aye, Mrs. McMahon: aye.
The Board returned to open session to resume the work session at 6:09 p.m.
Mr. Kurt, and Leroy Carroll, Support Services Supervisor made a presentation, including a power point slide show, on the challenges facing our facilities. The discussion included:
• the boiler water return lines at the High School in the Media Center needing to be replaced,
• the spring water in the crawl space under the high school,
• the environmental conditions in the crawl space under the high school,
• the electrical conditions experienced in the Junior High,
• the sink hole in front of high school,
• water seeping between the original high school and the 1953 addition that causes damage the library ceiling tiles to collapse,
• the old electrical transformers needing to be replaced at the High School,
• the bus entranceway to the Elementary lobby needing to be repaired,
• cameras in the Elementary and lock down doors at the High School and Elementary,
• Outdoor lighting at the Elementary,
• Townsend roof issues and the boiler pipes breaking in the 4th grade wing at Townsend,
• Status on the Townsend Community School project.
The Board had open discussion on the issues presented by Mr. Kurt and Mr. Carroll. The Board discussion led to options to pay for all the facility concerns. The Board has a few options to address the issues including:
• Entering into a contract with the Ohio School Facilities Committee (OSFC) to build a new grade 6 through grade 12 facility. The financing of an OSFC project would be comprised of State contributing 33% from funds set aside in the State's budget and the remainder from a Bond Levy,
• could consider a Permanent Improvement Levy for a continuing period of time which the Board could use a portion of the proceeds to borrow against for up to ten years,
• could explore a House Bill 264 project for improvements that would reduce energy costs over a payback period, whereby the energy savings would help the district pay for the financing,
• could continue to address the needs of the buildings as they arise using existing resources.
Mr. Kurt suggested that we contact the Ohio Schools Facilities Commission to have them perform a review of the facilities. The Board did that back in 2004. There is no cost to the district to have the review completed and it could be an exercise to see the current status of the facilities. The Board agreed to have Ed contact the OSFC. The summary of the discussion on the facilities concluded with the Board agreeing that this would need to be a community decision. Over the next several weeks, we will attempt to provide information on the options for the Board with the goal being able to share the information with various community groups.
Motion by Mr. Miller, seconded by Mrs. McMahon, to adjourn the meeting having no further business to come before the Board; Roll Call: Mr. Schoenegge: aye; Mrs. Kelble: aye; Mr. Lippert: aye, Mr. Miller: aye, Mrs. McMahon: aye.
Meeting adjourned at 7:49 P.M.
Jude T. Hammond
School Board Members
Mr. Elmer Lippert, President
Mr. Kent Miller
Mr. Paul Schoenegge, Vice President
Mr. Brian Sutorius
Mr. Andrew Warner
Mr. Denny Mock, Superintendent
Mr. Jude Hammond, Treasurer
Margaretta Board of Education
305 S. Washington St.
Castalia, OH 44824
Phone: (419) 684-5322
Fax: (419) 684-9003